Regulations for Training

NSW: Training in pesticide use is required under the Pesticides Regulation 2017. If you use pesticides as part of your work, you must

  • Complete initial accreditation training at a minimum AQF2 if using pesticides under supervision or at AQF3 level if pesticides are used independently, for example, a farmer
  • Maintain your competency in the use of pesticides by
    • Renewing your training every 5 years by completing a one day refresher course or
    • Participating in a quality assurance (QA) or stewardship program that has been approved by the EPA

Certain pesticide users will require a licence from the NSW EPA from 1 July 2018: aerial applicators; pest management technicians and fumigators; commercial ground applicators.

For more information on pesticide use and training requirements in NSW please visit the EPA website -

NT: If you use agricultural or veterinary chemical products on any property in the Northern Territory, you must use them in a way that is safe for humans, animals and the environment.

You must get a licence if you are a business, or work for one, that charges for applying agricultural chemicals such as an aerial spray or pest control operator.

Some chemicals are classified as dangerous poisons or restricted chemical products, and you must get special authorisation to use them.

For more information on pesticide use and training requirements in NT please visit the NT government website -

WA: If you use AgVet pesticides on your own property or land under your control there is no accredited chemical training required. There is however a requirement under WHS legislation to have completed appropriate training in chemical use, for this reason it is recommended to undertake a SMARTtrain AQF3 Chemical Application course. For more information visit the WA Health website -

If you apply pesticides for remuneration then accredited training is required. After successful completion of the course you can then register as a pest management technician and apply for a licence. For details on licencing visit the WA Health website -

VIC: An Agricultural Chemical User Permit (ACUP) is required for anyone who uses ‘restricted use’ chemicals in Victoria (higher risk chemicals). To be eligible to gain the Permit you must have successfully completed accredited training of the AQF3 Chemical Application course. Holding an ACUP does not authorise the holder to use these chemicals for a fee or reward. Commercial operators must hold a Commercial Operators Licence (COL).

For more details visit the Agriculture Victoria website -

SA: If spraying with Group I herbicides users are required to hold AQF3 Prepare and Apply Chemicals unit of competency and keep accurate records of all spray applications for a minimum of 2 years. Anyone carrying out pest control work for a fee or reward or running a pest control business must apply for a licence – pest management technician’s licence and pest controller’s licence (if running own pest control business). To purchase S7 chemicals (Dangerous Poisons) you must hold AQF3 accreditation.

For more information visit the PIRSA website:

TAS: you must hold a Commercial Operators Licence if you provide a service that involves the application of AgVet chemicals for fee or reward. You must have successfully completed training of the AQF3 Chemical Application course. You may be exempt from holding the Certificate of Competency if you only apply chemicals on your employer’s property eg farm workers or council workers.

If conducting aerial spraying of agricultural products you must hold a Pilot (chemical rating) Licence and you or your employer must hold an Agricultural Aircraft Operator Licence.

For more information on licences visit the DPIPWE website -

QLD: Under the Agricultural Chemicals Distribution Control Act 1966, if you intend to use ground equipment to distribute herbicides on land that you or a close relative do not own or occupy, you may need a Commercial Operator's Licence (previously called an ACDC licence). The licence is issued for either a 1-year or 3-year period. You must have successfully completed training of the AQF3 Chemical Application course before applying for the Commercial Operator’s Licence.

Factors that can determine if you need a licence include the type of ground equipment that you are using and whether you are carrying out the ground distribution in a declared hazardous area, a regulated area or non-regulated area of the state.

You must be at least 17 years of age to be issued a commercial operator's licence. You do not need a licence if you are carrying out ground distribution outside of the regulated areas in Queensland. Commercial operator's licences are issued by Biosecurity Queensland. For more information visit the Queensland business website:

ACT: The minimum requirement for personnel undertaking general weed control (applying pesticides for the control of weeds, or applying pesticides in horticultural situations) is successful achievement of AQF3 Chemical Application. Certified competencies approved by the ACT EPA are also recognised. For more information: